Friday 12 January 2018

[Unicum] Losing a lifelong spouse and the Hungarian language.

I have occasion to think about this now, sad to say.  Not only does a surviving spouse feel grief, but there is also nobody around who speaks Hungarian with about your most intimate day to day life.  Nobody who understands what you went through in order to emigrate. 
 
My mom, who is 94 and also has nobody to speak Hungarian with, just told me that she recites the Lord's Prayer in Hungarian just so she won't forget it.  She said the words were difficult in this prayer.  I listened to a vocal arrangement on Youtube set to music that I thought presented the language in a most beautiful and transcendent way; since group rules usually prohibit links, the name of the youtube is:The Our Father (in Hungarian with English subtitle), and you'll be able to locate it, 3:33 minutes in length. 

Sincerely yours,
Mary Knight
Kensington MD

0 comments:

Post a Comment