Sunday 26 August 2012

[SCOW] Sail trim and Tuning, NIP/TUCK

  Some keen eyed sailors have asked if I do my own sail repairs and modifications. I respond, while trying to appear flattered and modest, why yes.
    My resistance to supporting a RELATIONSHIP with some of our local sail makers has been noted.
  Years of interaction with sail makers, who at times have responded to my request for repairs or alterations with "are you SURE you want to spend money on THIS sail". We can give you a very attractive price on a new sail. These queries coming after labor intensive trips to the boat and then to the sail maker to drop off the sail. And then the wait for the repair, which if I'm able to convince the sail maker, that for sentimental reasons I would like the sail repaired. Noting the value in being able to recount the "sea story" attached to wound inflicted to the sail. Much like a drunken sailor reflects on scars received in heroic efforts to "save the ship". Some times the sail maker would agree and make the repairs. Which "I can't get to right away", but will be completed "soon".
 Being one who likes to do it my self. And who knows that sometimes it's better to do it yourself. These thoughts were thwarted by my lack of skill with a sewing machine. But thru observation and application of modern "space age" adhesives, mechanical fasteners, and sail makers supplies. I have been able to make repairs and alterations to my own sails which have stood the test of time and reaped the rewards of better performance. While these methods may not be recommended for trans oceanic voyaging. In these days of plastic mylarvectracarbonnanofiber racing sails who's life are measured in hours rather than years. They have a certain appeal.
 Good sources for these materials can be found at:
www.sailmakerssupply.com
www.sailcare.com
defenderindustries.com
 
Bill Davenport

0 comments:

Post a Comment